Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Oscars and Oscar the Grouch: Footnote

When I wrote the title for my post yesterday, I had a suspicion that combining the Oscars and "Oscar the Grouch" was as original as combining motherhood and apple pie, but I went ahead anyway.  Now I have a moment and can look, at least on the internet.  For this year alone, there are at least two examples:  Chris Laverty on February 2 in clothesonfilm.com and New York Daily News columnist Elizabeth Weitzman on February 26.  And if I looked beyond the first page of hits, or even (gasp) explored pre-web sources (the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, perhaps, in the library), I'd probably find dozens and dozens of instances dating back to the time when Oscar the Grouch came into existence forty-odd years ago, at which point the Oscar the Award was already about thirty-five.

No comments:

Post a Comment